Sunday, May 29, 2011

Retirement Plan


I could retire like this... in about 40 years. haha I love sitting on my porch, looking across the lake and seeing the silhouette of Mozambique's mountains bleeding into a pale shade of orange and blue. I'd sit with a good book and watch the orange fade as the mountains blend in with the blue. I had a good bite of chocolate cake yesterday with a sip of my orange Sobo. The roosters would occasionally crow and the chickens cluck in my yard. Sometimes you can hear the pounding of buckets in front of my house and the splash of water filling up the buckets with children and women chatting. As the night falls, the sound of cicadas fill the air and then it's just pure silence except for the humming of my refrigerator. Every morning is just as amazing too: the sunrise surprises me with the same beauty every morning and it's too hard to resist taking pictures. It's always quiet in the morning without the sound of honking cars or rushing vehicles. As I walk on the dirt road to the hospital or somewhere else, I would see women carrying bundles of firewood or a block of things wrapped with a chitenje, or women sitting on the side selling mandazis or bananas. The goats would be busy eating the grass on the side with a leash on their neck tied to a nail in the ground. Everyone who passes me would stare at me and are taken back with a smile when I greet them "Muli uli?" It is just too beautiful here and I feel so blessed to be here.

Like I said, I could retire like this.