Sunday, May 15, 2011

Zabo Malawi!

And I'm back in Malawi! I'm doing a two-month internship in Livingstonia, Malawi. I went from living at the home of the revolutionary fighter, Chilembwe, for two years, and now I'm living at the home of the infamous African missionary, David Livingstone.

Day one:
I was sitting at the airport contemplating if I should carry my 50 pounds worth of luggages for 5K and wave down a minibus or pay $25 for a taxi or…. I thought I’d ask the Pakistani man sitting next to me what he thought. Long story short, he was a kind man who offered me a free ride and wanted to marry me so I can run his five container and ice block factories in Malawi and Mozambique despite the fact that he has a wife and family in Pakistan. I almost accepted, only because we got so lost looking for the hostel and I would not have survived with 50 pounds of luggages! The first food I ate in Malawi? CHIPPIES! (Fresh potatoes fried in oil. Yum!)

Day two:
Great day of visiting old Peace Corps staff and old friend at African Bible College! I ran into a man with blood all over his shirt and he kept saying, “My wife, she not ok, she not ok.” I asked him what happened and he couldn’t explain. As he walked away, he had a big bandage on the back of his head. I could only wonder.
Some days later:
I'm finally up at Livingstonia after spending two days in Lilongwe, one day of traveling up to Mzuzu, two nights in Mzuzu, and one morning of traveling up to Livingstonia. We trudged through 15 k of dirt road in a Land Cruiser while the brakes were being held together by some rubber and broke at some point during our journey. Now I'm sitting up here at Livingstonia Plateau with a wonderful view of Lake Malawi and Mozambique as the backdrop. I’m living the bwana life with a nice house with three bedrooms, hot showers, running water, my own cook, a night watchman, and nicer things that I’d never owned in my own life before. Plus I have internet through a USB and the university recently just got internet. This is no longer Peace Corps and it feels weird. Too weird. Pictures to come!