Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hello Nkhata Bay!

Today I woke up at 5 am, packed up my katundu and left Livingstonia for good. I was sad but I was glad that I was able to see one last beautiful sunrise during my journey to the lakeshore.

Five hours later, after cramming with 16 others in a minibus, I arrived at Nkhata Bay. For the first time since I’ve been here, I was able to touch the lake! And they really don’t call it “Lake of the Stars” for no reason. It’s so beautiful and peaceful. Then, as I was chatting with the owner of a hostel here, out of the kindness of his heart, he offered me a chalet room for the same price that I was going to pay for a dorm! I don’t know why people in Malawi treat me so well. First I got a free ride from the airport to Lilongwe. Then I got this nice 3-bedroom house in Livingstonia all to myself. Then I got a free month of visa extension at the Immigration Office. And now I have a freakin’ awesome chalet. I hope that my charm will keep working ‘till the very end!