Saturday, February 2, 2008

Welcome to my humble abode

Here are pictures of my house. I have a lot of stuff (i.e. furnitures) and nowhere to put my stuff, so yeah... Also, all the furnitures, buckets, utensils, plates, and stuff were accumulated from previous volunteers, so I didn't have to buy anything. But they did take up room. So we'll start with entering my house!

You can see straight into my backyard. That's my bike hanging by the wall with a map of the world on my wall. My bedroom is just to the right. Shifting to the left a little...




I have 4 chairs in the house... I use 2 for sitting... 1 for stuff... and 1 for cooking...




I don't know if you can see my cooker... but it's on the chair because...


I don't have a counter to cook on (they had taken out the slab for some reason and the lower slab is too low because my cooker's cord is not long enough). I've been still waiting for the mission to make the slab since August... I store my produce in those clay pots on the ground... to keep out the rats!


For some reason, someone decided to make a huge shelf and place it in the kitchen. So, I put all my utensils and stuff on the shelves. Then, you can walk out into my backyard.


The door on the left is for the kitchen... Most people cook with fire in their outdoor kitchen, but I don't use it. The drape on the left is the "door" for the "toilet". And then you can't see it, but you can turn left from the "toilet" into my "bafa" room. When you look right...




you'll see a lot of shrubbery. haha Those are banana trees and a papaya tree. I also have a refuse/compost pit that's covered by green. haha

I didn't take pictures of my bedroom or garden, so I'll save those for next time! And yes, I do have a garden! Sweet potatoes, corn, peanuts, soya beans, Chinese cabbage, bok choys, lettuce... and WATERMELONS! I'm hoping the pests won't eat my food. I'll be really happy if my watermelons succeed. I've only had one watermelon the whole time I was here. :(


And as usual, I end with pictures of cute kids. They were in my last post too. haha They're just so cute! :)