Saturday, September 22, 2007

A funny lil anecdote

So I'm sitting in this HIV support group... absolutely bored to death while they're figuring out logistics and collecting money...

I'm entertaining myself watching these two toddlers play around... One girl keeps covering herself with a chitenje and falling flat on her face and laughing at herself... The other kid's crying for some reason and pees on the ground. So, the girl goes over to him and bends down scoping it out. She sniffs it, then starts lapping!

His mother doesn't do anything.

THEN, she smears it around and continues to drink from it!

And still, no one does anything!

By then, my site mate and I looked at each other in disbelief (he said it was one of the grossest things he's seen in Malawi - probably after killing a chicken). And I couldn't stop laughing just cuz that was the funniest sight ever.

That's how bored I get here I guess.

But on the other hand, it's not that gross to me... because I weigh babies at the clinic... and let's just say most of them don't have diapers.

Anyway, my favorite thing about Malawi: the Gerber babies! :) I don't think I've seen so many cute babies in my life before!

And the sunrises and sunsets... never seen a sun so orange before (except in switzerland once).

My least favorite thing about Malawi: battling the rats and bugs. I've made enemies with the rats. I must avenge Mr. Empty Plastic Bottle and his offsprings Plastic Bags that the rat(s) have so ruthlessly slaughtered! Just kidding. O.k., but seriously though, it annoys the crap out of me. My coworker said it must be so hungry if it's eating empty bottles. Hey, here's a better idea, rat, why don't you just go somewhere else? (It's so hard to not get that image of the Master from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! If only I could admire them so!)

And the bugs. The grossest thing I've seen is probably the cockroaches in my chimbudzi ("toilet" = hole in the ground). AGHHHHH!!!!