Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tiwonenge Ziyewo - Goodbye Ziyewo





Last summer, I completed my internship in Livingstonia, Malawi in Eastern Africa. I befriended and worked closely with a wonderful man named Fletus Ziyewo. He recently passed away, so this is a tribute to a man who I owe my life’s calling to.

When I first met Ziyewo, he exuded so many qualities – he was shy, humble, sweet, kind, and wise. Even though he faced hardships in life, he handled them with grace and always a smile on his face. He always cared so deeply for me: he was enraged when he found out that I would have to walk for 2 hours to get to our training site and he was overly protective at the thought of me riding on his motorbike on rocky paths. And he was proud of me for pursuing my masters in public health.

Having spent two years working with health workers in Malawi and experiencing the frustrations that came with it, Ziyewo was the one who restored my faith in Malawians who loved their jobs because of the goodness of their hearts and their love for their communities. Because of my experiences working with him, my passion and resolve to pursue a global health career was strengthened.

When I left Malawi in July 2011, he made me promise that I’d return to visit him one day and that I wouldn’t forget him. To the first promise, I was so sure that I’d see him again and now I am sad that I can’t fulfill it. But to the last promise, I will certainly never forget it. Not only was he a nurse and environmental health officer, he was also a father, husband, community leader, church elder, and a friend.

Ambuye akudalitseni Abambo Ziyewo – May God bless you Ziyewo.