Monday, July 5, 2010

Volcano Surfing!

This past weekend my friend (Diana) and I went to a major town, Leon. We spent a day going to Cerro Negro, Central America's youngest volcano, and hiked up the volcano with our boards on our back. With our orange jumpsuits and goggles in gear, we "surfed" (sledded) down Central America's youngest volcano! Pictures to come!

We also spent a day walking around Leon visiting its infamous churches and sites. And had a tete-a-tete with a crazy taxi driver on our way back to the hostel!

This is my last week in Nicaragua! Unbelieveable how fast time flies by! My espanol is improving paso a paso. These past few weeks I've been visiting different barrios and observing the health workers distribute abatizado (Temaflor? pesticide) in various water sources to eliminate mosquito larvae, a Dengue prevention method. We've also visited various pulperias (street vendors) to check for expired foodstuffs and visited different health volunteers to follow up on malaria tests. I also presented my Dengue poster last week and will present again tomorrow!

My stomach has been a little iffy this past week. I was eating rice and beans todos los dias and was also feeling a little nauseous. I realized that part of the nausea was from inhaling the Raid mosquito repellent coils everyday. I also informed my homestay mom that I needed vegetables, so the next day she prepared boiled potatoes and carrots. I practically started picking up fruits off the ground to eat! The next day she made me deep-fried crepes! My stomach's still not feeling that great, but I'll be ok after this last stretch!

Una semana mas!