Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week One in Nicaragua

Week uno in Nicaragua is officially over!

I'm currently staying with a program called La Mariposa where I'm taking Spanish classes and volunteering at a new health clinic. I moved in with my homestay family on Monday. I've been shadowing nurses in the morning - going into the barrios educating health volunteers about malaria testing, observing the family planning clinic, treating elementary students for lice, etc. My role, however, is supposed to involve dengue fever prevention. Dengue Fever is a major problem which doesn't have any vaccine or real treatments. I'm intrigued to see how the health care system will tackle this problem.

My homestay has been pretty sweet, though I miss having my own place to live in. Malawi was a better place when I could cook and clean for myself. But it has been a good bonding experience for me to get to know my family and practice my Spanish while watching the Capo Mundial avidly.

My experiences here contrast so differently from those in Malawi. How do I describe it? Well, for one thing, I'm having an easier time adjusting here. People don't stare at me as much and actually respect my role here as a volunteer and student. Regardless of whether I can understand them or not, I just love how they'll keep conversing with me. The health clinics here are by far more resourceful and the workers seem much more invested in their health care system, whereas in Malawi their jobs were less of a priority as opposed to their livelihoods (farms). It's strange actually, because I came expecting extreme poverty and my expectations were actually exceeded. I have electricity, a toilet (albeit I have to pour in water to make it flush), infrastructure, a working health system, and efficient transportation. I'm amazed and really grateful.

Anyway, I'll update again in a week's time and share more about mi Centro de Salud y educacion en Nicaragua!

Hasta luego mis amigos y familia!