Thursday, November 27, 2008

Obama wins!


Hooray for Obama!!


I really wish I were there with my fellow Americans to celebrate, but I was definitely rejoicing with you in my spirit! My brother had kept me up all night with the polls, and at 6 AM, he texted me, "HE WINS! HE WINS!" That definitely woke me up. :)


I listened to the gracious and beautiful speeches on the BBC and then sprinted to my friend's (also a Peace Corps Volunteer) house. We cheered, laughed, and celebrated. We agreed that for the first time in our lives, we actually felt proud to be Americans.


Then I went to my health center with the biggest smile on my face. Still bubbling with excitement, I told my health worker supervisor about Obama's victory. He stared blankly at me and asked, "Who's that?" He's only the next president of USA! I guess not everyone's well informed. :)


Africa is truly rejoicing! There was a play in Kenya about Obama and McCain. I've heard songs on the radio about Obama... and I heard there is a chitenje (a traditional fabric) with Obama's picture plastered all over. I am so buying it when I see it! :)


Congratulations Obama!