Friday, August 24, 2007

A long overdue update...

that will continue to be overdue... I had an update (a really good one too) all typed up and ready to go... but then somehow a virus got into my flashdrive and I can't view it at the internet cafe. So... I'm sending my apologies from halfway around the world at an internet cafe with the inverse speed of light.

I've finally moved home (in Malawi)! For those who are committed to the lost art of snail mail, you can now mail me at:
Elaine Lo
PO Box 74
Chilembwe, Malawi
Central Africa [although I think it might be technically considered South Africa]

(And look for my number from the previous post.)

I'll probably check my email once or twice a month... so feel free to email me at elaineheartsyou@gmail.com and let me know how you're doing! :) If you want me to mail you, you can either mail me first... or email me your address and an update so I have something to respond to you.

A lot has happened in the last 3 months from marriage proposals to hitchhiking... but I cannot adequately describe anything at this internet cafe (I've already been here for over an hour). I'll just give brief updates.

I live in the southern part of Malawi at PIM (Providence Industrial Mission), home of the revolutionary who fought for Malawi's independence. Chilembwe was the George Washington of Malawi and I live only 5 minutes away from the church he built, the rock where he meditated... and probably the hole he defecated in.

I have electricity (with blackouts every other day) but no plumbing or running water.

I think I have bats in my house (there's loud banging on my roof).

I built fire for a week. And nearly died doing so.

I carried water on my head. And nearly broke my neck doing so (and embarrassed myself in front of a group of American tourists here).

I miss my host family. :(

I'm in love! ....with the babies! :D

I've had 2 babies named after me - all within a day or two they were born! :) (I'll try to post a picture whenever my drives are free of viruses.)

OK, that's all I can give for now... Sorry. :( I'm going to visit some street kids in about an hour.

Tiwonana!